It all begins with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov. You may obtain a paper FAFSA in our Financial Aid Office or from your high school guidance counselor.
Complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after Jan. 1st.
1. Complete all applications that apply to you:
- Free Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Application:
- Express TAP Application (ETA) for full-time students (The link to this application will automatically appear upon completing the FAFSA application above.)
- Aid for Part-Time Study Application (APTS) for part-time students
- Direct Loans: Complete the Direct Loan Cover Sheet.
- Veterans Application for Educational Benefits
You will need copies of tax returns to file some of these applications.
2. If requested, provide 2012 income documentation (provide copies for the office):
- Federal tax returns transcript
- New York State income tax returns (signed) (for APTS)
3. Complete the Entrance Loan Interview and electronic Master Promissory Note:
- Go to www.StudentLoans.gov for Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loans.
4. Complete the employment process:
- Hiring Authorization form
- I-9 and W-4 (with appropriate documentation)
- Work Study Award Letter (if student is work/study eligible)
- Student Aides: it is recommended that all students complete the FAFSA , the Express TAP and/or APTS application
5. Complete the Veteran's benefits application:
- Provide a copy of DD 214 and/or other documentation
Fall 2013: May 15, 2013 for priority review of all campus
Spring 2014: Nov. 15, 2013 for priority review of all campus
Fall 2013 & Spring 2014:
Students are encouraged to apply at the time of FAFSA completion following the recommended FAFSA dates.
The latest a TAP application for 2013-2014 can be submitted is June 30, 2014.
APTS (based on NYS budget)
Fall 2013: Aug. 2, 2013 for review for Fall award
Spring 2014: Jan. 10, 2014 for review for Spring award
Checking Financial Aid Status
There is an approximate 5 week processing time once all required documentation/applications are received. To check your financial aid status, log in to My.SUNYUlster.edu and check the Financial aid Channel in the Student Resources Tab.
Changes in Financial Circumstance
Students may request consideration of their financial aid awards due to unusual or exceptional circumstances above and beyond the student's/parents' control, such as loss of employment, divorce/separation/death of parent, loss of untaxed income (social security benefits) or loss of unemployment benefits.
Such requests must be made in writing on a Special Conditions form and submitted with all required documentation.