Residency Requirements

Certificate of Residence Information

If you are resident of New York State, but not of Ulster County, you must provide a Certificate of Residence from you home county every year in order to receive the in-county tuition rate at SUNY Ulster.

Additional information regarding primary legal residence requirements can be found on our "Primary Legal Residence Requirements " page.

To obtain a Certificate of Residence, click your home county on the list below to find online resources/applications on your home county’s website.  The window of eligibility for issuance of a new certificate, for any particular term, is two months prior to the student’s registration date and 30 days after the start of classes.  

Once you receive the Certificate of Residence from your County Treasurer, please email it to the Student

Accounts Office at 

or mail to:

SUNY Ulster
Attention: Student Accounts Office
PO Box 557
Stone Ridge, NY  12484

If you are an Ulster County resident, please email a copy of your NYS driver’s license to to prove residency.

For more information, contact the Student Accounts Office at or call (845) 687-5099.

Appeal Information:

If a SUNY community college student is denied a certificate of residence from their home county, such student may appeal to SUNY System Administration for reversal. Such appeal communication should contain the student’s contact information and details about the denial from the county. Please note that denials can only be reversed if either the county or the college made an error or did not follow relevant legal requirements. Students can submit appeals by email to or by physical mail to Johanna Duncan-Poitier, Senior Vice Chancellor for Community Colleges and the Education Pipeline, SUNY H. Carl McCall Building, 353 Broadway, Albany, NY 12246.  Please note that CUNY community colleges student appeals must be directed to CUNY at



Immigrants are grouped in categories depending on the type of visa presented at the port of entry. Immigrant Aliens must have an Alien Identification card (“green card”) and be able to establish NYS and county residency to be eligible for resident tuition rates. These students must follow the residency requirements listed above. Non-immigrants admitted to the United States in categories that prohibit them from establishing a United States residence are not eligible for resident tuition (for example, F1 Visa holders)

However, some undocumented aliens may be eligible for the resident tuition rate if any of the following applies:

  • Attended a New York State high school for two or more years, graduated, and applied to attend a SUNY institution within five years of receiving a New York State diploma; or

  • Attended an approved New York State program for a General Equivalency Diploma (GED or TASC) exam preparation, received a GED or TASC diploma and applied for admission within five years of receiving the GED or TASC; and

  • You submit to the campus a notarized affidavit stating that you will file an application to legalize your immigration status as soon as you are eligible to do so.

 At SUNY Ulster, the Enrollment and Success Center can provide you with samples of the affidavits.





Upcoming Events