Associate in Applied Science Degree Program
|Hegis Code: 5004||Admissions: 1-800-724-0833
ext. 5018 or 5022
|NYSED Code: email@example.com|
Students who complete this program earn an Associate in Applied Science degree. The program is sufficiently comprehensive to qualify graduates for a variety of entry positions in business and industry, It also prepares students to begin the process of owning a small business. The business and entrepreneurship associate will be able to assist or manage in the areas of planning, organizing, leading and fiscal management. The business associate will be able to use critical thinking processes incorporated with computer and communication skills while employing a teamwork approach to reach the goals of the organization. This program is not designed as a transfer program.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of the A.A.S. Business and Entrepreneurial Studies Degree program a student will be able to
• Demonstrate proficiency in accounting procedures relevant to small business; master the basic functions of small business accounting/spreadsheet software in order to make informed business decisions;
• Demonstrate effective written, verbal, and nonverbal communication techniques in organizations, work teams, across cultures, and via technology;
• Articulate the importance and role of key small business success factors; describe the foundational principles of entrepreneurship and the entrepreneurial mindset;
• Understand and apply the basic principles of law and contracts as they relate to entrepreneurship and small business management;
• Understand and apply the concepts, theories, and terminology used in recruiting, selecting, placing, and developing employees;
• Research and plan a cohesive advertising campaign; articulate the role and planning of print, broadcast, direct, sales promotion, interactive, and alternative advertising, as well as public relations;
• Develop a full business plan, ensuring environmental and societal responsibility in all aspects of the plan.
Graduates of this program could fill entry-level management trainee positions in business and industry. Graduates are also equipped with the skills of small business management.
Requirements for Program Entry
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Satisfactory placement in Entering Student Assessment
Developmental Assistance Available
For students who do not meet basic reading and math requirements, or who have other learning issues, extra assistance is readily available through SUNY Ulster's Learning Center, Patrik Math Center, the Writing Center, the Peer and Friend Tutor Program, and English as a Second Language (ESL) tutors.
For More Information
Chairperson, Business & Professional Studies
Office: Hasbrouck Hall, HAS 212 A
Phone: 800:724-0833, ext 5195 or
To print a copy of the Program Planning Sheet, click here for a PDF version. (If you don't already have Adobe Acrobat Reader, click here for a free copy.)
Click on the Course Number for the course description.
|BUS 102||Mathematics for Business and Industry||3|
|BUS 127||Human Relations Training||3|
|BUS 171 1||Computer Applications in Business||3|
|ENG 101||College English I||3|
|BUS 104 or
|Business Communications or Technical Writing||3|
|BUS 150||Business Economics||3|
|BUS 272||Spreadsheets for Business||3|
|COM 103 or
|Oral communication or
|LIB 111||Information Literacy||1|
|Elective 2||Mathematics Elective (MAT 098 or higher)||3-4|
|ACC 101||Principles of Accounting I||4|
|BUS 180 4||Legal Environment of Business||3|
|BUS 203||Human Resources Management||3|
|BUS 209||Principles of Advertising||3|
|Elective 5||Social Science Elective||3|
ACC 102 3
Principles of Accounting II
|BUS 235||Contemporary Business Issues||3|
|Elective||Natural Science Elective||3-4|
|Elective 5||Social Science Elective||3|
NOTE: Through advisement, students will also fulfill General Education Requirements.
1 Keyboarding skills are required for this course.
3 Prerequisite for ACC 102 is ACC 101 and MAT 100 with a grade of C or better. Prerequisite
for ACT 215 is ACC 101 or ACC 200 with a grade of C- or higher.